Helpful Information for BuyersBuyers Resources
6 Helpful Tips to Keep Everything Running Smoothly During Your Move!
Buying a Home or Cottage on the Bruce Peninsula can be an exciting time but the process of moving can be time-consuming and stressful. The Team at RE/MAX Grey Bruce Realty Inc. want to make sure your positive buyer/selling experience translates into a positive moving experience!
We have compiled a list of helpful moving tips for you to browse. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us! 519-596-2255.
Visit Our Directory for contact numbers/website/emails.
1. Book the Movers
You can choose to have your movers pack everything, or just the breakables, or you can pack yourself. It is a good idea to obtain estimates from several different companies and ask for complete references.
2. If You Own Your Present Home
- Arrange to have your gas, water and hydro meters read on the day you leave and forward the bill to your new address.
- Have the oil tank read and filled before your sale closes (please confirm with your lawyer before filling the tank, unless stipulated otherwise in the offer).
- If the water heater or furnace is rented, arrange for a transfer of the rental agreement to the purchaser.
- Disconnect your telephone, cable and water softener.
3. If You Rent Your Present Home
Give necessary written notice to your landlord and make arrangements for the return of any money you have on deposit.
4. At Your New Home
Make arrangements for the gas and electric utilities, water softener, telephone and cable to be connected on the day the sale closes.
- Get change of address cards from the post office and send out well before moving day.
- Have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
- Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
- Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pick-up, newspapers, magazines and other home services. Arrange for service at your new address.
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business affiliations and memberships.
- Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription and optical records.
- Change the address on your driver’s license(s) effective the day of the move.
- Collect all items out for cleaning, repair or storage (e.g. dry cleaning).
- Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets.
6. There are many people you’ll want to inform about your new location.
Please use this list as a guide.
- Relatives and friends (optional)
- Landlord (if necessary) – Remember you must give two months’ notice, depends on your lease
- Insurance broker
- Post office
- Phone company
- Hydro company
- Gas (or oil) company
- Cable / Internet company
- Tax dept.
- Family allowance dept.
The Bruce Peninsula Real Estate Team